U9s; Tyldesley 8 – 12 Eccles. Sunday 12th October

Eccles Squad; Seb. Ethan. Mathew. Maxwell. Sohan. Ben. Jonnie. Jake. Alfie. Finn

With two key players missing due to sickness and injury, it was a fixture that presented just a little trepidation.

However, as the sunshine began to burn off the early morning mist, the signs that this could be a game to savour, came to fruition.

Seb was Captain for the day and took up his wing berth ready to lead from the front. His first call to duty was a wonderful tackle to stop what looked a sure try from the Tyldesley player. This was how the game would shape-up for the opening exchanges. Jake continues to show his courage in the tackle and constantly went looking for the ball. 

The game plan was simple; our big boys take the contact for two phases before the support players look to feed the fast boys on the wings. Time and again we tried, but credit to the ‘Bongs defence for holding the Eccles boys out, we had to conceded posession on the 6th tackle. No panic though; the moment came when Mathew finally broke through the defence to link up neatly with Maxwell who was on his shoulder, to finish like a true prop-in-the-making from 2 metres out!

Now the boys realised what the game plan was, it was time for the speedsters to get involved; Finn took a short ball after a restart to drive into contact. Alfie took Finns pop up pass and set off with swerving hips towards the line. A great tackle again in the Tyldesley rear quarter stopped Alfie just short, but in came Ethan to grab his first try on the day.

Both teams exchanged scores with some excellent line breaks, but it was the Gorton St lads who just kept their noses in front. Again, Max and Mathew paired-up in the midfield with Sohan and Finn forming the second attacking wave. The off-loading in and around contact zone was fantastic to see. Ethan and Ben kept up the attacking threat down the wings after Seb had to retire injured, and Jonnie, Alfie and Jake swept up the loose ball to turn defence and attack.

Max finished the day with a well desreved hat-trick and Ethan bagged a similar count. Ben grabbed two wonderful try’s after avoiding the tacklers and Mathew scored two after powerfull runs into the opponents try zone.

Without a doubt though, it was the link play through the team that was the most pleasing thing to witness. All the boys concentrated and put their hard work from training into practice. The experience gained from the Rossendale tournament stood them in good stead. Great body angles into contact and wonderful sympathetic pop passing to the support player. Our defence down the wings stood up and our organisation through the middle to spot the gaps worked well at times.

Tyldesley were gracious in defeat and it was a great contest played in the right spirit by two very promising teams. Thanks to Phil from Tyldesley for the hospitality and his authority on the whistle!

This Wednesday 15th and Sunday 19th October; Training down at the club. 6.30pm and 10.30am.

All welcome…. including new players!