U8s Vs Tyldsley – Away – 12th October 2014

A short journey across the M62 and the East Lancs took us to Tyldsley for our third competitive outing in as many weeks.

Tyldsley had a bare six players and although we were a few players short of normal we still had 10 and so the opposition were in for a tiring stint as we proceeded to play three games. Whilst six were playing the other four were being put through their paces in some passing drills

Game 1
Ben H, Ben W, Charlie, Guy, Lewis, and Zac.
A game played in the best spirit by both teams. In a very even affair the score remained close throughout the game and was the first of many to end in a draw. Ben W was enthusiastically taking it to Ewan (his school mate) in the opposition line, Guy and Charlie were busy in both attack and defence and Zac and Ben H also getting stuck in.

Game 2
Ben W, Guy , Harry, Lucas, Mitchel and Reece,
Yours truly was on the whistle, well actually was refereeing without a whistle. The game was try for try to the very end. Good running and support play was demonstrated on both sides as the game finished honours even. Harry continued his good form from last week taking the ball in straight and hard whilst Reece and Mitchel’s running constantly troubled the opposition.

Game 3
Ben H, Harry, Lewis, Lucas, Mitchel and Reece,
The final game was no different from the two before – extremely close. Eccles started with the ball but lost possession and conceded the first try putting us onto the back foot. From the restart Mitchel danced through the opposition to score in the corner. Reece and Harry were doing their best to maintain a tight defence and kept a high tag rate. The flowed in the same style … try up to Tyldsley, try from Eccles to level. In the final play of the game with Eccles one try down, Harry, in support of Lewis drove the ball direct into the opposition line. The attempted tackle (not tag!!) flipped Harry onto his back on the try line and causing the ball to bobble upwards. With some quick thinking he promptly regained the ball and placed the ball down over his head to score the final try of the match and levelling the match.

At each different place we play each team referee places emphasis on different parts of the game. Today was “offside” and it made for a really open and even game of Rugby.

With all three matches ending in a draw, the only winners were the spectators seeing excellent support play, evasive running and lots of energy from two evenly matched sides.

STAR OF THE WEEK. It has to go to my “moment” (and game saving try) of the day. For juggling par excellence STAR OF THE WEEK goes to Harry. Well done.

On Sunday, 19th October, we are training at Gorton Street and hopefully we will have numbers (and coaches) to split U7s and U8s.

See you on Sunday