Oldham 14 v 22 Eccles Junior Colts

ECCLES Jnr Colts 22 v Oldham 14

Manor Park            28.10.12 – 11.30 pm k.o.             Att: 55


Eccles Junior Colts travelled up to Oldham for this friendly match arranged because neither team had a league game. Eccles unusually started with only 14 players so Oldham lent us one. After 10 mins Evan arrived so 15 Eccles players got stuck in. The weather was awful wind and rain for most of the match so players and supporters alike got wet and cold apart from Steve and his misses who were nice and cosy sat in there car!!

Eccles pressed well in the early stages and were awarded with a try as the forwards drove well and Lewis touched down, Aaron missed the conversion, 0-5.

Considering the conditions Eccles played well and had the more possession throughout the first 15 mins, David Hargreaves losing his shirt in one maul!

Eccles drove towards the Oldham line with Ross Eaton going close only to be stopped short. Eccles still had the ball and as the ball went out to the backs the Oldham defence held out.

Eccles discipline started to let them down as captain Curt decided to challenge everything. This began to show as Oldham got more into the game and attacked the Eccles defence. An Eccles scrum 10 yards out was won but a mix up at the back saw Oldham sneak in and score, 7-5.

HT 7-5.

Oldham started the half as they finished the first and were rewarded with an early try, 14-5. Eccles needed to sort things out and quickly or they were in danger of losing this game. Tom Waring had some good ball at scrum half and with Aaron at stand off started to penetrate the Oldham defence. Sam had some good runs and Evan and Joe Horrocks put in some good tackles. Tom Heath was stopped short on a couple of occasions.

Aaron broke through and popped the ball out to Matt Parkinson who went over to score, Aaron converted, 14-12.

Coach Dave and Nick encouraged the lads from the touch line and now they had shut up moaning, started to play good rugby again. On a separate note Steve’s wipers were still working!

Connor and Rob gained ground backed up by Lewis and Dave as Eccles began to dominate. Aaron broke through the first tackle and as the next Oldham defender grabbed him he slipped the ball out to Harry who had Ross screaming down his ear but Harry didn’t need him and went over to score, 14-17, Aaron missed the difficult kick.

Despite the conditions Eccles srumage was good, Sean hooking well, so well when one particular hook sent the ball straight out through the number 8’s legs!

Time was almost up when Aaron once again broke through and slipped the ball out to Harry who scored his 2nd try of the game, Aaron missed the conversion.

A good performance considering the conditions especially when the lads stopped moaning and played rugby.

Well played.

Man of the match Aaron.

Match Report Tim Eaton.