Eccles u18s girls 45 – 17 North West Sirens

With a break in the weather at long last Eccles 18s girls were looking forward to getting back into action when they took on North West Sirens in the national cup at home.

Pitch conditions were muddy which made handling difficult in the initial stages, but it wasn’t long before centre Bawden score the first try of the day collecting a lose ball on half way and sprinting to the try line converted by Wallace.

Bawden and Acir combining well on a number of occasions stretching North West Sirens defence.

Leah Carlton Morley was playing her first competitive game for months after a long tern knee injury, but soon found her form scoring eccles second try converted by Wallace.

Eccles looked solid in the scrum and hooker Roden took a least one against the head. Another player back from long term injury Wallwork came on after 15 mins and made an immediate impression.

The Sirens pack started to dominate the contact area in close quarters but captain Purcell, hooker Roden and prop Harper put their bodies on the line time and time again to secure ruck ball.

Once the ball was in the open eccles always looked dangerous, this time Harper was on hand to cross the line in the corner with 2 defenders on her back.

In the second half eccles started with a bang Bawden scoring her second try of the day, Wallace converted. At this point Eccles seemed to switch off but all credit to North west sirens as they took a quick tap penalty and score in the corner.

A second try by the Sirens within the space of 5 gave Eccles the wake up call they needed despite losing Wallace for a 10 minute spell with a knee injury. Leah Carlton Morley put in an excellent comeback display with some forceful tackling and a superb running line to score her second try, Carlton converted.

Once again the Sirens rallied round and a nice individual piece of skill with a chip and chase brought them their third try of the game.

Eccles forwards Siddall and Christian provided some great go forward with excellent running with ball in hand, interplay between the forwards leading to Harpers second try converted by Wallace.

With only minutes left on the clock Bawden who had been a thorn in the Sirens side all game scored her third and final try to cap off a man of the match performance. Final score 45-17.

Next week Eccles 18s travel to Littleborough