Eccles First XV Vs Leigh Match Report

Both teams entered into the game win less and desperate to kick start their season. The two teams hadn’t met in a competitive match in recent memory but had met in pre-season a few times with Leigh generally coming out on top.

After fifteen minutes it looked like this was to continue with Leigh rushing out to a 13 point lead in a little over ten minutes. Eccles conceding penalties both unfortunate and unnecessary to allow a couple of well struck penalties by the visiting 10. He also chipped in with a try when he outpaced the flat footed Griffin.

At this point their were murmurings from the home faithful that it could turn into a cricket score. Eccles however knuckled down and began to put Leigh under considerable pressure leading them to concede numerous penalties eventually resulting the visiting tight head being invited to take a ten minute breather.

It was in this period that full back James blotted an otherwise excellent copy book when having a try disallowed in the corner for the second week running. Eccles continued to apply the pressure though and Leigh were unable to get out of their own half for a goOd 20 minutes. In the end Eccles managed to get the score they deserved with fly half Oakey stepping a couple of men before sliding a well timed pass to Parkinson on the wing to score.

The second half continued where the first had left off. Eccles putting Leigh under territorial pressure but being unable to convert it into points. An excellent kick out of hand put Leigh under pressure in their own corner and when the drive came from Eccles Simpson was unlucky to have a try disallowed as the referee was unsighted.

In the end the try came on the unlikeliest manner. With interim scrum half Wright looking to take a quick tap on the five metre he unfortunately toe bunged the ball towards the Leigh line. luckily the tap was so bad he couldn’t knock the ball on and managed to recover it to everyone’s disbelief and score, with the try converted Eccles now trailed by a single point with 25 minutes to go.

Eccles didn’t have to wait long to take the lead though with Eccles immediately making yards from the restart. Leigh conceded a penalty and Thronley took it quickly on the 22 outstripping a couple of defenders before passing to Oakey to score in the corner. Oakey converted what in the end turned out to be a crucial conversion from the touchline to give Eccles a 6 point lead.

Leigh however got back into the game and with the clock running down the winger managed to shrug off a couple of tackles to score. This left a relatively straightforward kick for the visitors to take the lead with less than a minute to play. Luckily for Eccles the ball slid wide and they had their first win of the season,